Q. What do we mean by accountability?
We believe that every church and ministry should be completely autonomous, but with accountability. While there has been a lot of talk among church leaders these days about accountability I wonder if we all think of it in the same way. Here is what I mean when I talk about accountability:
There has been a lot of talk among church leaders these days about accountability and while everyone would agree that it is an important issue, I wonder if we all think of it in the same way. Here is what I mean when I talk about accountability:
1. Do you have a constitution that outlines how you function in the following areas?
How the church government is structured
How Decision-making takes place
Obtaining and removing a pastor
Obtaining and removing an overseer
How to manage Church finances in compliance with the State
2. Do you publicly give an account for the major decisions that have been made and allow your members to have input in the major decisions that you face as a church? Is there full financial disclosure? This is usually done at an Annual Meeting.
3. Are there good record-keeping procedures in place, such as maintaining church minutes and bookkeeping?
4. Is someone other than the pastor looking after the finances of the church?
5. Is there a clear outline of the authority structure of your church?
1. Do you have someone that the leaders and other members of the church know as the overseer of the congregation?
2. Is he just a friend of the pastor, or is he a friend of the church?
3. Is he accessible?
4. Who is he accountable to?
5. Are the limits of his authority and responsibilities clearly defined?
6. Is there a larger group that he himself relates to?
To learn more about oversight, click here
OUR HELP IS AVAILABLE
We would work with a pastor and leadership of a local church to help them become accountable.
We have samples of constitutions available and can give advice in the area of bookkeeping.
In order to be considered accountable, we would expect any pastor that joined our fellowship to become compliant within the first two years.